C.H. Guenther and Son, a global food manufacturing company based in San Antonio with 28 facilities in the US, Canada and Europe, is making significant strides in sustainability through energy and waste reduction, advanced farming practices, and increased use of sustainable and recyclable sources for its product ingredients and packaging. These initiatives are highlighted in the company’s first environmental, social and governance report – People, Planet and Purpose – now being shared with stakeholders, suppliers and customers across the company’s global footprint.
“When it comes to sustainability, we thoughtfully consider our impact on the environment when developing annual and long-term business plans. We do this to limit energy and water consumption and minimize waste,” says John Buckles, CHG’s President and CEO. “As part of our sustainability efforts, we also make safe working conditions for employees our highest priority. As for the communities we operate in, we proudly give back through a variety of charitable giving programs.”
In 2022, CHG increased its commitment to sustainability in a variety of ways, highlighted in the report, including:
- For each metric ton of product CHG produces, we are working to reduce the amount of electricity and natural gas used and waste generated. This lowers our carbon footprint.
- CHG supports farming practices and water-efficient technologies that protect watershed in communities at risk of drought. Facilities also meet all environmental compliance requirements, making sure water released into community systems is free of contaminants.
- Most of the organic waste CHG plants produce is diverted from landfills and converted to animal feed. CHG also diverts waste through upcycling – turning organic materials into new product.
- A greater focus was placed on products made from sustainable sources. CHG requires all vendors to adhere to a Supplier Code of Conduct that tracks how ingredients are grown and harvested.
- CHG is working closely with vendors to develop packaging that is 100 percent reusable, recyclable or industrially compostable packaging by 2025.
- Each year, Guenther Gives – CHG’s corporate giving program – donates to more than 100 charitable organizations. Guenther Gives allocates funds that address challenges faced in these communities, including food security, health and wellbeing, and education.
In early 2022, CHG conducted a third-party materiality assessment to survey investors, management and employees, customers, and suppliers to learn the areas of most concern to our stakeholders. Many of our sustainability activities are in response to meeting our stakeholders’ needs and are reported directly to them through CDP, SupplyShift, Ecovadis, Sedex, DEI portals and other specialized reporting instruments. We are proud to strive toward improvement, year after year.
About C.H. Guenther & Son
San Antonio-based C.H. Guenther & Son is a leading food manufacturer that has delivered high-quality products and “just baked from scratch” flavor for 170 years. Founded in Texas in 1851, the global company employs more than 4,000 people in 28 manufacturing locations in the U.S., Canada, and Western Europe. CHG is a leading supplier of value-added grain-based and frozen food products for foodservice clients and select consumer markets. CHG’s well-loved retail brands such as Pioneer, White Wings, Sun-Bird, and Cuisine Adventures have been included at family meals for generations. CHG is owned by Pritzker Private Capital (PPC) along with management and other co-investors. Visit us at www.chg.com.